No Chop Vegan Hoppin' John | Lucky, Fast & Easy!
They say Hoppin John will bring luck in the New Year.. Well you're already in luck if your goal is health because this plant-based Hoppin John recipe is not only delicious, but it's nutritious too.
This is probably the EASIEST ever Hoppin John recipe because it's dump-and-go, and there's no chopping required. This oil-free vegan recipe can and should be enjoyed all throughout January and any time of year!
This will bring you luck in the New Year simply by saving you time in the kitchen!
- 2 cups dry black eyed peas
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 bag Trader Joe’s Fire Roasted Peppers & Onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 4 oz. can diced green chiles (or 2 jalapeños)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 3 cups water or veggie broth
- 1 1 lb. bag chopped collard greens (or 1 bunch)
Add all of the ingredients except the greens to your electric pressure cooker and set it to high pressure for 25 minutes, with a natural release.
Stir in the greens while piping hot for a couple minutes to wilt, then serve. I love collards most, but kale and spinach work great too.
Of course you can swap the Trader Joe's peppers and onions with one bag each of frozen chopped bell peppers and frozen chopped onions. Or you can chop 1 of each fresh.